Government Decision no. 1133/2020 published in the Official Gazette no. 1326 on 31.12.2020, established a total number of 25,000 of work permits that can be issued in 2021, to Non-European citizens, newly-admitted workers for the following types: permanent workers, trainees, seasonal, cross-border, highly skilled, seconded, ICT (people transferred within the same company).
Considering the following:
- during the first 7 months of this year, a no. of 17,196 work permits have been issued (representing 68,7 % of the total), being in the process of solutioning a no. of 3,620 applications for work permit requests;
- there was a significant increase in the number of applications (27,8%) in the first half of 2021, compared to the similar period of 2020;
- the number of vacancies declared by employers increased for the first 5 months of this year by 2,77% compared to the similar period of 2020;
- international mobility restrictions caused by the spread of the Covid-19 virus, which did not have a major negative impact on applications for work permits;
- the economic development potential of Romania, the need to ensure the labor force required in some sectors of activity or trades, which cannot be covered by the Romanian workers, but also to prevent situations in which foreigners work in Romania without legal forms.
The Romanian Government adopted on 11.08.2021, the decision no. 836 supplementing the quota for types of newly admitted workers on the labor market in 2021, with 25,000 work permits.
Thus, the total number of work permits that can be issued in 2021 for foreign nationals is 50,000, which reflects an obvious increase of foreign personnel in the Romanian labor market.
Ministry of Labor and Social Protection,
General Inspectorate for Immigration,
Official Gazette, Part I no. 780/12.08.2021
Contact an Advisor
If you have any questions regarding this topic and how it might have an impact on your business, please contact the Mirus Consultant with whom you regularly work, or: